Wendy

Default Run-in Headings in Word 2003?

I am using Word 2003. I have done a fair bit of research and have been unable
to find a definitive answer to my question.

Can you create run-in headings in Word?

I am creating a document that has numbered headings.

1 Heading 1
1.2 Heading 2

I have a second level heading that contains a section for definitions of
terms used in the document. In that section I want each term to be a run-in
heading and the definition to be a body text style. It would look something
like this:

Term [bold] - Definition.

My insistence that the term be a heading is for cross-referencing.
Everywhere in the document where that term appears, I want to be able to
cross-reference back to the definition paragraph for that term.

I thought a run-in heading would suit that purpose to a tee, but I have not
been able to figure out how to create a run-in heading in Word.

I know I could create bookmarks in the definition paragraphs and link the
terms to the bookmarks, but since I am creating numerous documents with
numerous definitions in each document, constantly creating bookmarks can be a
bit time consuming. I guess I thought a run-in heading would be a quicker way
to accomplish this.

If run-in headings can't be accomplished, what are other suggestions for
cross-referencing in this manner?

Thanks!

Wendy