Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default How do you type the syble for degrees (temperature) in Word?

I was sure that I did not reassign Alt+Ctrl+2 to the degree symbol but in
order to make totally sure that I was right, I checked my husband's computer
too (I know that he has never assigned any shortcuts€¦) and the result was the
same as on my computer. Also I was sure that the default shortcut would be
the same and that was why I thought Herb had made a typo.

On a Danish keyboard, Shift+2 gives you a quotation mark (") and AltGr+2
gives you @.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure you didn't reassign Alt+Ctrl+2 to the degree symbol? I can't
imagine why the built-in command would be different, though, FWIW, on US
keyboards Shift+2 is @ (which I guess someone would look enough like a
degree symbol to be mnemonic), whereas on UK/international keyboards I
believe that combination gives you an apostrophe or something.

"Lene Fredborg" wrote in message
OK €“ it works differently here. I have a Danish keyboard and Word 2003
(English). Alt+Ctrl+2 followed by a space works here and is also listed in
Insert Symbol as the default shortcut for the degree sign. However, if I
check the assignments of keyboard shortcuts in Tools Customize

Keyboard,
Alt+Ctrl+2 is listed as being assigned to ApplyHeading2 but it does not

work.
The behaviour you experience seems more reasonable but does not work here.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

The default assignment for the US Keyboard is Ctrl+Shift+2, Space.
Ctrl+Alt+2, by default, is assigned to ApplyHeading2 (here, at least).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"Lene Fredborg" wrote in message
news I think it should be Alt+Ctrl+2 followed by a space (instead of
Ctrl+Shift+2
followed by a space).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Ctrl+Shift+2, followed by a space. Or... Alt+0176.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com
"Fear" wrote in message
I am trying to figure out how to type the little circle thing that
stands
for
"degrees". Does anyone know how to do this in Microsoft Word?