Graham Mayor

I can't see any simple way to do this, other than to suggest that you format
each letter with individual and unique paragraph styles that reflect the
required formatting. As for the spacing for the later IF constructions,
ensure that there are no line breaks between the fields ie put them all on
the same line. Depending on how you have named the letters, you may find a
simpler constructiuon works better - from the example you have given:

{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\MailMerge\\{MERGEFIELD User_Field_2} Parish DA.RTF"}

would work - but clearly the rest of the documents must begin with the word
you gather from the user_field_2 and the rest of the document names must
contain common text - it would even be worth renaming the documents to match
the fieldname for the sake of simplicity.

jka319 wrote:
I have a data file where each record needs to be merged with one of
several different form letters. The letter it should be merged with
depends on a certain field in the data file (in this case, the
User_Field_2). I've accomplished this by using a main letter that is
just a series of "if" statements with "includetext".

Here's one of my "if" statements:
{IF {MERGEFIELD User_Field_2} = "BOSSIER" "{INCLUDETEXT
"C:\\MailMerge\\Bossier Parish DA.RTF"}"}

I have several of these "if" statements, one after the other, for each
possible value of User_Field_2.

When I merge the main letter to a new document, it creates a big
document with the correct letters for each record. Here's the
problem: Each of these letters has a specific format that it needs
to follow, and they all have different margins. When I merge them
all together, they all take on one set of margins, which messes up
the formatting in some of them.

I've tried setting the margins for each individual "if" statment, but
that creates section breaks between them, which creates 2 other
problems: 1. It puts a blank page between each letter. 2. It leaves
a lot of blank lines at the top of some letters (the ones where the
"if" statement was farther down the page).

Does anyone know of a way to merge different letters into one
document, and still keep the margins of each individual letter?

Any help will be appreciated.
Jennifer