Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Saving individual letters after a mail merge

If you create your merge document from normal.dot and add the letterhead
content to the body of the first page (it doesn't actually need to go in the
header) the merge should work correctly.

McFox wrote:
Just when I thought all was well!

I ran the exercise again with our 'headed' paper as the main
document, and after saving individually, I find that there is a third
page created for a two page document. This third page has our letter
head again (second page is correct as a continuation page), and at
the end of the last line on the second page is a 'Section Break (New
Page)'.

If I delete this section break the first page becomes corrupted, with
all the text dropping into the second page, with the second page text
moving to the third page. Our company logo and address sits in the
header of the first page, with a section break below it (not sure
why there is a section break, however if I delete this then the
header content disappears as well).

Is there any way to get rid of the superflous third page without
destroying the formatting above, or is there a better way of creating
the letter head, rather than in a Header.

We tend to send our mail shots electronically, therefore I need an
electronic version of our header and continuation paper. I am using
Word 2003.

Thanks.

"McFox" wrote:

Thanks guys; found the web page prior to your responses, though
didn't have the opportunity to try it it till this morning.

Fantastic, one less headache to worry about when mailmerging my next
mailshot.

So, whoever did it ... thanks for the great code.

"McFox" wrote:

After completing a mail merge, I need to save the letters
individually in each of my client file folders. Having attempted
various ways to do this I seem to keep coming up with the problem
of the pagination/formating/electronic letter head etc of the
lettter becoming corrupted. I believe it has something to do with
Section Breaks, however I still cannot resolve it, after looking
through various manuals and using Word Help!

For I number of reasons I need to save the individual letters as
received by the client; is there any way to separate and save the
letters after a mail merge?

Hopelessly yours!