Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default mail merge -vertical orientation of data

As far as I know the \v switch is intended for East Asian language documents
where the characters are laid out vertically. In that case text in latin
character sets can be displayed in two formats. It can either be written so
the characters are in their "normal" orientation , but one character below
the next, e.g.

or the entire text can in effect be rotated through 90 degrees, so that (if
you like) you would have to turn your head sideways to read the text.

because different characters are used depending on which way you do it, /v
is used to "convert" the characters for the first layout, and no /v does the
second layout.

So using \v you would only get the vertical layout you want if you selected
Page Setup-Document Grid-Text direction-Vertical and
(a) you may only get to see that option if you have an East Asian language
enabled in Office (or in Vista, in Control Panel-Regional settings) and
(b) this sets up the entire page for vertical text.

Other than that, I don't know of a better way to do what you want than the
one Doug describes.

Peter Jamieson

"geminidreamer" wrote in message
In Word 2003 (Windows XP Pro OS) I was attempting to use mail merge for
some
labels I am creating. When I did the InsertField, in the next dialog
box I
selected Category Mail Merge, then below that Field Names MergeField
where I gave the field the header name which matched my data source (e.g.
first name) in the section titled Field Properties. Just to the right of
that in the area named Field Options, I ticked off the box for Vertical
Formatting. I have a small section of my labels where I want the name to
appear vertically. However when I complete the merge process, the name
does
not go vertically but simply appears with double spaced characters
horizontally. can anyone help me get the fields selected to go
vertically?
What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Renee