Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Hameed Hameed is offline

Default Mail Merge and protection

Hi macropod,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you elaborate on using user forms?

Regards,
Hameed

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Graham,

Assuming the ASK field and any cross-references to it survives the merge, I can see all sorts of problems arising with the
cross-references trying to get data from multiple instances of ASK fields that all set the same bookmark. Invariably, they'll all
end up pointing to the last ASK field.

Perhaps a user form would be better suited - especially since the OP is already using vba.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message ...
Form fields and mail merge are incompatible and the fields will will not survive a merge. You will have to think of some other way
of inserting your data eg ASK fields?

Hameed wrote:
Hi,

I have a mail merge document in MS Word 2003 in which I use several
form fields to be filled manually as well.

When a user opens the document (well, the system generates the
document), they have to enable macros for the merge to work, once the
data is retrieved from external source and the document is merged,
then I use VBA to set the protection:

ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True,
Password:="My_PassWord"

Now the problem is that after this, the users are not able to edit
the form fields, although I have used wdAllowOnlyFormFields.