TF

1. TNR is a serif font (good readability), it was already in wide use (The
Times newspaper), MS got the licence cheaply. It is in such wide use because
it isn't a bad font (though I personally don't like it) and because it is
the Word default and most people couldn't be bothered to change it, Word has
a very wide user base of people who didn't bother to learn how to change it!

2. Use SelectAll (Ctl+A) and then change the Font using the Toolbar.
However, if you have got as far as learning Styles, change the style to TNR.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Chad Harris" wrote in message
: Using MSFT Word 03 in MOS 03. I started a document with Courier New
only
: because I couldn't find the font that I wanted to use that has been used
in
: similar situations. Then I figured out that the font I wanted was *Times
: New Roman*-- which is the default font in Word and probably has been since
: Word Version I. I also saw there are Times New Roman Special G1 and G2
and
: I'll try to find oout what they are and why.
:
: 1) You see this default font *everywhere.* I see it in many business
: letters, (perhaps the majority), legal documents (motions and filings of
all
: types) even if there is no requirement for it. Why has Times New Roman
: been adopted by MSFT for Word as the default font and why do so many
people
: seem to use it in proportion to choices of so many others on that drop
down.
:
: 2) If someone started in Courier New and had typed 3 pages of a document,
: then discovered they wanted to change it to another Font say Times New
: Roman, what is the most efficient, and quickest way to change to Times New
: Roman without having to erase and start over. Can you highlight and
: Format(Change) Font? Is there any other faster way?
:
:
: Tia,
: