Graham Mayor

Did you work through the trouble shooting tips, or just not recognize
anything that might be relevant? Crashes are usually the result of external
influences and these links address those.

Also update your display and printer drivers (if updates are available).

exasperated wrote:
Graham - Thanks for the reply, all very useful to know but I could
find nothing in the various pages you listed that addresses the
problem. Word hangs when I try to close it, obliging me to right
click to bring up the "program not responding" error and force it to
close.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm followed
by http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

exasperated wrote:
Word hangs when I try to close the program. Either there is an
error message "MS Word has encountered an problem and needs to
close" or there is no message and I must try to close it using the
TaskBar whereupon the message is the "the program is not
responding" in case I had not noticed.
This is a new problem. I have regularly sent in error reports with
no response. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, run the repair
utility, renamed and recreated the normal.dot file, sacrificed
chickens to the computer gods, all to no avail. Short of buying an
Apple - what next?