Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Default Fill-in field prompts

Reinstalling Word is unlikely to have any effect.
Try (with Word closed):
Start Run
"winword.exe /a"

Note the space between the .exe and the /a.
This gives you a clean version of Word. (It is a diagnostic that sometimes
can fix things. It isn't how you want to run Word normally.
What happens with your template now?

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Deb McLellan" wrote in message
Thanks Charles. I checked that print option in her setup, and it is not
checked. I'm wondering if reinstalling Word will affect anything.....

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in message
I've known people to get double prompts when they have a print option set
to update fields at printing.

See the ASK and FILL-IN field tutorial at
http://addbalance.com/word/download.htm.

You may want to consider using what Word calls an "online form." Check
this in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially
Dian Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Deb McLellan" wrote in message
Sorry - I now realize that Word 2002 and Word XP are the same thing. I
don't know why it occurred to me to check on that AFTER I posted the
query, but at least I was able to see the error of my ways first!!!

In any event, I'm creating the templates and prompts with no problem
here at home, but when I take them to the office, I get the double
prompts. I am going to create it from scratch at the office and see if I
have the same problem

Deb

"Deb McLellan" wrote in message
I have created a basic template in Word (2002). It is a letter
template with fill-in fields for file number, addressees, etc.,

I am able to complete creation of the template and save it in my user
template folder. However, when I run the template (File|New) the
prompts are presented twice. It runs through all of the fill-in fields
and I fill them in but when I get to the last one, it seems to circle
back and asks the first one again. At first I thought the problem was
my macro, but the same thing happens when I run the template without
using the macro.

I'm puzzled because I created a few test templates on another computer
running Word XP, and everything was fine, so I wonder if its my
technique or if there is something about the newer version of Word.

Deb