Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Find missing caption

You could do a Search for the Style name that's applied to the caption
-- verify what it is by putting your cursor in the Fig. 1 or Fig. 3
paragraph; put the cursor at the start of the document, then Ctrl-F
More Format Style stylename Find Next. First it will find Fig.
1, then (hopefully) it will find whatever it thinks is Fig. 2, and you
can delete that paragraph. (Or change its style.)

On Jan 11, 10:54*pm, Maki wrote:
I've inserted a picture (floating) in a document and placed a caption with
prefix "Fig.". *Naturally the first picture was "Fig. 1 *XXXX" but as I was
relatively new to this feature, I had a couple of trials and errors to get
the positioning right.

Subsequently, I got the second picture inserted and try to insert caption
for that, too, but the numbering isn't quite right and it wants to put "Fig.
3" instead of "Fig. 2".

There could be an orphaned caption ("Fig.2") somewhere within the document
but I can't see it. *Is there a way to find this missing caption and delete
it?

Or could there be any other reason for this irregular numbering?

Thank you.

--
Maki @ Canberra.AU