Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Find missing caption

Caption numbers are places with SEQ fields. so you could use Edit Goto
Field SEQ to step through the SEQ fields in your document,

Maki wrote:
I've inserted a picture (floating) in a document and placed a caption
with prefix "Fig.". Naturally the first picture was "Fig. 1 XXXX"
but as I was relatively new to this feature, I had a couple of trials
and errors to get the positioning right.

Subsequently, I got the second picture inserted and try to insert
caption for that, too, but the numbering isn't quite right and it
wants to put "Fig. 3" instead of "Fig. 2".

There could be an orphaned caption ("Fig.2") somewhere within the
document but I can't see it. Is there a way to find this missing
caption and delete it?

Or could there be any other reason for this irregular numbering?

Thank you.