WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Find missing caption

Hi Maki,

It sounds like you may have accidentally deleted the caption for the second picture or there could be an orphaned caption as you mentioned. Here are the steps to find and delete the missing caption:
  1. Click on the first picture with the correct caption (Fig. 1 XXXX).
  2. Go to the References tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Insert Caption" button in the Captions group.
  4. In the Caption dialog box, make sure the "Exclude label from caption" box is unchecked and the "New Label" button is selected.
  5. In the "New Label" dialog box, type "Fig." and click OK.
  6. In the Caption dialog box, type "2" in the "Caption Numbering" box and add your caption text.
  7. Click OK to insert the caption for the second picture.

If the caption numbering is still not correct, there may be an orphaned caption somewhere in the document. Here's how to find and delete it:
  1. Go to the Home tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on the "Find" button in the Editing group.
  3. In the Find and Replace dialog box, click on the "More" button.
  4. Check the "Use wildcards" box.
  5. In the "Find what" box, type "Fig. [0-9]{1,}" (without the quotes).
  6. Click "Find Next" to locate the orphaned caption.
  7. Delete the caption and click "Find Next" again to see if there are any more orphaned captions.

I hope this helps you find and fix the issue with your captions.