Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Duncan McC Duncan McC is offline

Default Insert a video into Word...

In article ,
says...
Insert Object From file

However, what's the point of the exercise? A Word document is a peculiar
vehicle to carry a video file. You can't print it, the chances are that you
can't e-mail it, so what do you gain by including it in a document?

Good questions - here's the scenario.

A client wants to send out a pdf (or .doc) file to their clients. They
may want to include a video on occasion. The info document will be
going out maybe 4 times a year.

I have looked at video in a .pdf - and the only things I've come up with
so far (I've only looked at Adobe stuff) is Adobe Acrobat (pro) and
Adobe Flash. All up, probably not much change from $1,000 NZD.

So I got to thinking... hence my question. It's free, and it's a widely
used format, and I've confirmed that all their clients could open .doc
files (any that couldn't could perhaps use the free MS Word reader?).

But when I do a test on my machine, inserting some .avi I made on my
camera, it seems to embed ok, but it won't play.

MS Office 2007, XP Pro - all up-to-date.

PS: I assume Insert, Object, From File is the same as dragging a .avi
into the doc?

While my "cheap" method is just that, and it makes a much bigger file
than a web-ready, size optimised, flash video - I thought it could be
the go.

--
Duncan