Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amy amy is offline

Default Using SEQ fields

Okay, I hate to sound totally stupid, but I've played with my document for a
few days and can't quite figure this out... I entered the SEQ field as
detailed below, but how do I save this as a style or an auto text entry? And
is it possible to create a SEQ field that has the formatting I need?
Specifically, I need a period and a tab to follow the number.

Oh, in case I haven't mentioned it already, I am using Word 2007.

Thanks tons!
Amy

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

To insert a SEQ field you can do the following: Press Ctrl+F9; Word creates
field delimiters, { }. Type in the code.

For example, { SEQ test \s 1 } would create a sequential number (identified as
"test") restarted by Heading 1 paragraphs. To update the field at the insertion
point, press F9.

To force an update on all SEQ fields, switch to Print Preview and then back to
your favorite view. To show/hide field codes, press Alt+F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Just insert the desired SEQ field in the document, then select it and press
Alt+F3. Accept the offered entry name or type a different one. Whenever you
type the first few characters of the entry name, you'll be prompted to insert
the entry (assuming this is Word 2003 or earlier). More at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Amy" wrote in message
I posted another question on this topic last week but can't seem to find the
thread now... I need to insert a numbered list of procedural steps into a
document but I've already created one multilevel numbered list for my
headings. I was told to use the SEQ field as an autotext entry. I thought I
could figure that out on my own but after a few days of playing with it I'm
drawing a blank. Can someone please explain it or point me to another thread
that already explains the steps involved? Thanks so very much!

.