ASKUR ASKUR is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
You can have only a single "Chapter starts with style" selection for each
caption label. If you select, say, Heading 1 for captions that begin with
Figure, you can choose a different heading for Table, but if you change the
setting for Figure, you change it for all Figure captions. For a workaround
for appendixes, see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html.

If you're saying that you get, say, table captions when you want figure
captions, are you using the Auto Caption feature? If so, that will be the
problem, as it is intended to recognize a certain kind of object to be
captioned, and if all the objects are, say, JPEGs, then you'll get the same
kind of caption (label) each time.

http://word.mvps.org

"ASKUR" wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill;491728 Wrote:
Are you changing the setting of "Chapter starts with style"?

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
...-
Hello,
I have an almost 200 page document with many figures and tables in it.
I use Word 2002 and create captions using insertreferencecaption and
mark there that caption numbering will follow headings, which I
created using formatbullets and numbering and Words own headings
there.

When I create a figure caption under a certain heading it follows
heading number correctly. But when I put a new caption under a picture
in another heading, it correctly follows the present heading but
changes other captions I already have created. Many captions, if not
all, change according this new caption heading. Many get the same
caption numbering as well. It looks as the new caption "model"
dominates throughout the text.

What do I do wrong here?

Thanks in advance.
AK
-

Hello Suzanne,
Thank you for your answer.
Each time I put a new caption, I indicate by using "chapter starts with
style". I created two new labels and I use them (as the text is not in
English).
AK

--
ASKUR

Hello Suzanne,
I will put my problem in the simplest possible form: Suppose that I have just two chapters with two headings in my text (one main title and a sub-title under it); Heading 1 and Heading 2.

I place a picture (in line) in the first chapter whose title is defined by "Bullets and numbering" (level 1) and a caption under the picture defining it "chapter starts with Heading 1". I get the caption as Figure 1.1, as expected. Then, I put another picture, this time, in the next chapter starting with sub-title 2, (level 2) and define the new caption again with "starts with Heading 2". This time, I get the caption as Figure 1.1.1, which seems to be correct.

However, as soon as I get the new caption the first caption becomes Figure 1.1.1 as well. The situation is the same if I have the figures in frames or not. Same thing applies if I change the order of captioning.

As I have a relatively long document and a lot of figures the mess is unbearable.

Thanks in advance.

ASKUR