Klaus Linke

Hi Valerie,

There's a list of alias names in the Registry, too.
Helvetica might be a font that is stored in your printer. Word knows =
that and allow you to use it, and might use Arial to display it on =
screen. A little icon next to the font name if you open the font =
dropdown usually indicates this (something like a printer icon, rather =
than the TT for "TrueType").

Are you just irritated because you don't see "Helvetica" in your =
Windows\Fonts folder, or do you have some problem printing?

Regards,
Klaus

"Valerie" wrote:
I am having the same problem but when I checked the Font Substitution =

in a=20
document that is using helvetica (supposedly) it tells me that "No =

font=20
substitution is necessary. All fonts used in the document are =

available." =20
Also checked the fonts folder in Windows just to make sure, but it's =

not=20
there. Any ideas?
=20
=20
"giovanni" wrote:
=20
Thank you very much, I really could not figure out why word would =

show this=20
font but I could not find it in the system (and other programs could =

not=20
either).
=20
"Jay Freedman" wrote:
=20
giovanni wrote:
Hi,

I am using Word 2003 with SP1. In Word, I can select Helvetica =

as a
font type, but other applications (particularly Illustrator CS)
cannot find the same font. I searched the font folder and my =

whole
computer for this font but I can't find it. How is it possible =

that
Word can find it and other applications can't? What can I do to =

make
this font available to other programs? Thank you very much for =

your
help.
=20
Hi Giovanni,
=20
If you don't have an actual Helvetica font file installed in
C:\Windows\Fonts, and you tell Word to use Helvetica to format =

some text in
a document, Word will automatically substitute a similar font -- =

in this
case, Arial.
=20
The font dropdown will claim that the text is formatted with =

Helvetica. But
if you go to Tools Options Compatibility and click the Font =

Substitution
button, it will show that Helvetica has been substituted with =

another font.
You can choose in that dialog to change the substitute font, and =

that will
affect the display and the printer.
=20
If you leave Helvetica selected as the formatting for the text, =

and you move
the document to a computer that has a real Helvetica installed, =

that will be
used.
=20
--=20