Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
johnthebaptist johnthebaptist is offline

Default Semi-enabled cursor in table cell

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 07:11:01 -0700, johnthebaptist
wrote:

Running Office Standard 2007 on Visa Home Basic.

The cursor displays in the bottom half of the cell only. Above the text in
the lower half are numbers at the left margin, remnants of a numbered list
either automated or manual, both attempted in working with this table. The
cursor will not display in this section of the cell. I can't do anything
with these numbers.

The table has two columns: Date and Remarks. When I tab from Date to
Remarks in this row the entire Remarks cell area is selected: all the text
in the lower half and with a vertical bar to the right of the numbers in the
upper half.

Somehow or other this cell acquired a dashed border.

How do I clear the upper half of this cell (and others like it)?

It sounds like the table (actually the binary part that controls the table's
behavior) has become corrupted.

Follow the advice in http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm :

"If you have isolated the corruption to a particular table, either:

* Paste the table into Excel; delete the Word table; paste the Excel table
back into Word, select the new table (Alt+Double-click), press Ctrl+Spacebar to
remove the manual formatting, and reformat the table, or:
* Select Table + Convert Table to Text, select the text that results, and
select Table + Convert Text to Table. This has the advantage that you lose much
less formatting than using the Excel method, but the disadvantage that if a
corruption is stored in a paragraph mark within the table, it will remain."

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Thanks, Jay. You did answer my question; whether it solved my problem or
not remains to be seen. I'll let you know.