Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Can I total data brought in from an external data source?

You need another bracket around the calculation and spaces between
Mergefield and the field names
{={MERGEFIELD Membership_Dues_Amount} + {MERGEFIELD
Division_Dues_Amount_Membership} + {MERGEFIELD Standards} + {MERGEFIELD
ISA_Transactions} + {MERGEFIELD Airmail} + {MERGEFIELD Donations}}

Use ALT + F9 to toggle between (say)
{MERGEFIELD Membership_Dues_Amount}
and
Membership_Dues_Amount

Nick Manley wrote:
Hi Graham,

Thank you for the response.

When I use the following formula I get a Syntax error:

I did not create this document or insert the fields. They were there
when I got it and I was asked if they can be totaled in a seperate
cell in the table (each field has its own cell). Currently the merge
fields are bracketed with a and .

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The brackets indicate fields - in this case your mergefields. If you
are assembling fields from the keyboard rather than inserting them,
you create each pair of brackets with CTRL+F9. Change the fieldnames
to those in your data file.

Nick Manley wrote:
Thank you, Doug! I'll give it a shot. Am I removing the { in your
formula, or are the mergefield fieldnames bracketed like that in the
formula?

Thanks,
Nick.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Use the following type of field construction

{ = { MERGFIELD Field1name } + { MERGEFIELD Field2Name } + .......
}

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nick Manley" Nick wrote in
message ...
I have a document that includes merge data (in the form of dollar
amounts) in
fields which are in a table. I would like to total those dollar
amounts at the bottom of the table. I tried using the sum
function, but could not get the formula function to recognize the
merge fields.

Is this possible to do? And if so, how?

Thanks,
Nick.