Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Way to hide text without hidden text font?

Format the text as "Do not check spelling or grammar." The easiest way to do
this is to create a character style formatted as Default Paragraph Font + Do
not check spelling or grammar (in the Modify Style dialog, choose Format |
Language), then apply this style to your text as needed.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, a text box does indeed work for updating the field codes in
question, as I tested that. I appreciate that you mentioned your
concern in this regard, however.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I actually did try setting
the font color to white. I saw that you had in fact suggested that in
another news group post, so I at least did a fair amount of homework
before posting! :-)

Setting the font color to white actually does work, but only to a
point. The main problem that I found is that the spelling and grammar
checkers will flag anything they don't like in this text with their
jagged red and green underlines. It is in fact possible that the
result of the field codes in question could be flagged by these
checkers. That ends up looking odd, because you see these jagged
underlines out in the middle of nowhere!

Also, I figure that if the text box is left at a large size, that would
increase the chance of a user accidentally happening across it, and
then messing with it. The chance of this would be decreased if I
actually add the text box while editing the header and footer area, but
the spelling and grammar checker problem still persists there as well.
The same issues seem to exist whether the text box is a true text box
or a frame.

Anyway, I certainly appreciate your reply. Getting a reply from a
seasoned Word pro like you at least gives me the satisfaction of
knowing that there likely isn't a better way to do this. Thanks much!