Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
shank

Default headers

You want First Page header turned on. Use content to determine it's size
rather than resetting the header margins

That helped! However, now how do I set different margins for different pages
in a template? I want the first page to have a 2" margin and all other pages
to have a 1" top margin. How do I get that done?

thanks!

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
You want First Page header turned on. Use content to determine it's size
rather than resetting the header margins.

Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"shank" wrote in message
Almost there....

I put a logo on the first page that requires the header to be 1.5" high.
I just want the company name on subsequent pages, which requires the
header only be .5" high. I have the logo in place and also the company
name. But when I change the vertical height of one header, the other also
changes. How can I get them to be totally independent?

thanks!

"LH" wrote in message
oups.com...
Go to the end of your template, use the menu INSERT BREAK, PAGE BREAK.
Be sure you are in the second page of your template and use the menu
VIEW, HEADER & FOOTER. Find the buttons with the little arrowheads. You
should be able to move between the first page header and the header
with those buttons.

The above assumes that you have properly use the "Use different first
page" header/footer button on the PAGE SETUP, LAYOUT menu. Word
assumes that if you click the button that *both* a separate 1st page
header *and* footer will be used. You can't specify only a 1st page
header, but uniform footer.