Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default How to make custom multilists I create advance automatically?

The List Style should essentially be the same as the Define New Multilevel
list. The only difference is you are wrapping the multilevel list in a style
which enables you to name it and ensure you are making modifications to your
list instead of inadvertently creating a new one. When you created the
style, did you 1) click the Format button at the bottom of the dialog box
and then click Numbering? and 2) did you click the More button to see the
full view of the New Multilevel List dialog box?

Also, I can advance automatically when typing in a document using either
type. Although when it's linked to the Heading styles this doesn't appear to
be the case. IIRC, the same occurred in previous versions as well. (If I'm
wrong in my recollection someone will correct me. I haven't used a list
linked to Heading styles for genereal list making purposes since the List
Style type was added so it's been awhile. :-) )

Do note that some of the keyboard command have changed for Word 2007 when
working with lists. For example to promote a list item you can press Enter
until you reach the highest level. Backspace will end the numbering by your
insertion point will be lined up with the text of the preceding list item.
Subsequently pressing Backspace will move the insertion point to the margin.
(the number of times you need to press Backspace will vary depending on
which level of the list you are on.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"blur800" wrote in message
Beth,

That is good to know about the List Style; and, I see that unlike my
mutlilevel list, it does advance automatically upon pressing enter.
However,
unlike the multilevel list feature, it does not seem to be able to link
paragraph styles each level. And, also, I can only seem to modify the
syle
of the actual number or letter and not the sentence that follows--like you
can in a mutlilevel list.

The multilevel list automatically advances in Outline view, however, it is
annoying to type in outline view all the time. Is there no way to have a
multilevel list automatically advance--besides the default ones that Word
2007 comes with? It is good to know that you can modify the new list
styles,
but I am not really concerned with modifying at the moment; though I am
sure
it will come in handy at a later date.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

You might want to use the Define new List Style command instead of the
Define New Multilevel List command. Essentially they are the same but
once
you create the Multilevel list you can't modify it. Instead another
Multilevel list will need to be created. If you use a List Style then the
same functionality is provided but it has a style associated with it
which
enables list modifications.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Not all lists are recognized by Word's autoformatting features.
Instead,
set up a multilevel list with the desired formatting. On the Home tab
of
the ribbon, click the Multilevel List button in the Paragraph group.
Then
click Define New Multilevel List. This shows a dialog box that allows
you
to link paragraph styles to each list level (in the same way you could
in
previous versions of Word); see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"blur800" wrote in message
I used Word 2007 for Outlining my class notes. I have created a custom
multilist that I like, but it will not advance automatically.
Example:
After I type "IV.", then a line of text, and then press Enter, the
next
line
is blank. I then have to type "V." manually. Microsofts default
lists
will
advance manually, but I cannot get the multilists that I create to
advance
automatically. Thanks for any help.