Make a separate heading style for your TOC head. It can be based on Heading
1 (without the numbering) or just look like it, but change the outline level
to Body Text so it won't be included in the TOC (it absolutely should not be
included; this would be nonsensical). For your preface, use a Heading 1
clone that *is* set to Level 1.

You can make long headings wrap by setting the right indent of the TOC
styles to the left of the right tab stop where the page numbers will appear.

"Robert McN" wrote in message
Two questions: I am writing a multi-chapter dissertation using a "master
document" to organize a collection of files. The first few sections of

the
document are not chapters; they include, for example, a table of contents,

preface, etc. My heading #1 uses a numbered outline and is customized so

it
automatically reads, Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc. I put, the words "table of
contents" in Heading #1 as well, but I removed numbered outline, so it did
not read "Chapter X." Unfortunately, when I went to print the document,
(about 120 pages) Word automatically added the Heading title back in for

the
Table of Contents and renumbered all the subsequent chapters so that all

the
number throughout the document is wrong. So decided to apply a "normal"
style to the "Table of Contents" line heading and then tried to use a

field
code "TC" hoping that it would apper as an element in my table of contents
without throwing the numbering off for the rest of the document. While

all
the subsequent chapters did revert to the appropriate numbering, the item
"Table of Content" no longer appers as an item listed in the table of of
contents. Is there some way to have items like "Table of Content,"

"Preface"
appear in the table of content without having them mess up the numbering

for
the remander of the document?
Secondly, the justification of the table of contents gets messed up if
the headers are too long. Is there some way I can have long headers

without
them ruining the justification in the table of contents.
Thanks very much for you help. Bob