Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default "Lost" Word docs

The SaveReminder add-in is available at http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm,
to which there is a link at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
They did introduce an AutoSave option in Word 2000 in an add-in,
Macros9.dot - it's the SaveReminderInstall macro. Once the add-in is
installed then under the Tools menu you'll find the Save reminder options,
save automatically or prompt to save at a specificed interval of time.

If you can obtain a copy of the template then it still works through Word
2007. (Note it may still work in Word 2007 but it has an expired digital
signture and Word 2007 prevents the macros from being enabled in this
situation. You have to remove the digital signature from the project in
order to allow the macros to run. I haven't tested it past that point.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...
Hi Beth:

Well, there were several design bugs in AutoRecovery. The first was

that
it
only operated if Word crashed. There was no way to recover from
inadvertent
USER changes.

The other was that in the past, any given autorecover file contained

only
PART of the document. You could never get the whole of the document and
the
content was often out of sequence.

And there were no explicit instructions in the Help to enable an

ordinary
user to find and recover their Autorecover file.

A decent autosave mechanism would save the document under a recognisable
name, in an advertised location, and keep at least a week's worth of

data,
enabling the user to specify how long to keep data for, and to delete

all
backups of a sensitive file on demand.

If they've fixed all that, I will stop complaining about it :-)

Cheers

On 17/1/07 11:53 AM, in article ,
"Beth
Melton" wrote:

I agree with Suzanne, Word has never had an option to automatically

save
file without using the SaveReminder add-in.

Additionally, I also have to disagree with you on how AutoRecover

works.
It
doesn't use a log file, it creates a Word document and saves it just

like
any other document you would create and save. The document doesn't have
be saved in order for AutoRecover to save an autorecover copy. It

creates
Word document each time the AutoRecover save kicks in but it's saved to
your
AutoRecover folder with an *.asd file extension. From what I've been

able
ascertain, it uses the same Save methods as when saving a document,

i.e.
build temp file, delete original (for subsequent saves), move temp file
orginal, delete temp file. The only difference is when you close the
document Word will automatically delete the AutoRecovery save version.

It
may have worked differently in older versions, such as save only the
modifications, but this is how it works now. (Note I shouldn't say

"now"
since I believe the AutoReover function has changed for Word 2007 - I'm
still investigating it.)

You can test this for yourself:

- Create a new document (do not save it)
- Wait for AutoRecover save (you'll see it in the status bar)
- Check your AutoRecover folder and file the file.
- Copy the autorecover file to another location (so Word doesn't delete
it)
- Change the file extension to *.doc and double-click to open it (or

open
it
directly in Word)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ:
http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote

in
message ...
Hi Beth:

Yeah: Take it away! And bring back the old mechanism that used to
work.

If we must, rename the useless one to "Change logging." Because

that's
what
it does: it logs the changes to a file. But only if the file has
already
been saved :-)

Cheers

On 16/1/07 2:55 PM, in article ,
"Beth
Melton" wrote:

The option was called AutoSave at one point then it was changed to
"Save
AutoRecover information". Do you have a suggestion that could help

make
it
more clear?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ:
http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"roybaylis" wrote in message
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!
To think for years I have been relying on this - to no avail.
Ignorance is NOT (now) bliss!!!
Why don't Microsoft make this clearer?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is no "autosave" in Word. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set

1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread. Please do not
email

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst,
Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410