Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roybaylis roybaylis is offline

Default "Lost" Word docs

Thanks Graham - points taken and duly noted. I will change the time to 5
minutes, as a compromise!
BUT I still think that, if the pople I know are anything like average, this
has been and remains an ongoing issue - which could (and should) be fixed.
Why not?!!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It doesn't need 'fixing'. In Word 2003 (the most stable Word version so far)
it works quite effectively, but it is not foolproof. With your very short
save time, it is quite likely that a crash would occur during a save
operation and nothing would save you from that sort of data loss. Change it
to 10 or 15 minutes. If you don't wipe up the mess after a crash you make
further problems even more likely
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

No such measure negates the requirement to save your work often - yet we
hear of people who have kept documents open for days without ever saving,
then wonder why they have lost their work. The link to my web site referred
to by others will post a solution that will force a save if you want, but I
think you will quickly find it very irritating, just as a one minute
autorecovery option would certainly interfere with my work flow.

Get into the habit of using CTRL+S ever time you stop for thought.

roybaylis wrote:
Dear Suzanne
I think your comment "none of the options will protect you from your
own imprudence, laziness, or folly!" is both unhelpful and misses the
main point. This software is used so often by so many and it seems
most of us have been caught by this happening at one time or another.
Why on earth not fix it?! Isn't "user-friendly" part of the plan?
Wouldn't that be a wINwIN SOLUTION?!
Thanks
Roy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is no "autosave" in Word. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to
1 minute. Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy