Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default "Lost" Word docs

But when you buy a product and use it contrary to the operating
instructions, what are your expectations? If you never changed the oil in
your car (or filled it with gas), would you still expect it to run properly?
I don't believe Microsoft has given you any reason to expect that your
documents would be saved automatically. This would not happen in any other
application (except for a few such as Microsoft Money, where every entry is
saved as you enter it).

"roybaylis" wrote in message
Dear Suzanne
That is an unreal comparison.
When I BUY something, I expect it to work as well as possible and, if

there
is a known problem, for the manufacturer to fix it. if not, I simply buy
another product!
Why do you avoid the realissue - it is a problem for loads of people, has
been for ages, and should be fixed.
Why not?!!!
Roy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I stand by my statement. I think it is important to make users realize

that
*they* are responsible for saving their work. Do you have the same
expectations about the rest of your life, that "someone else" should

protect
you from the consequences of, say, paying your utility bill or insurance
premium or filing your income tax return or brushing your teeth or

buying
the food you need for tomorrow or washing your dirty clothes or...?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"roybaylis" wrote in message

Dear Suzanne
I think your comment "none of the options will protect you from your

own
imprudence, laziness, or folly!" is both unhelpful and misses the main

point.
This software is used so often by so many and it seems most of us have

been
caught by this happening at one time or another.
Why on earth not fix it?! Isn't "user-friendly" part of the plan?
Wouldn't that be a wINwIN SOLUTION?!
Thanks
Roy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is no "autosave" in Word. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set

to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy