Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default "Lost" Word docs

I personally would be very unhappy if Word saved every document I created or
ever saved without my explicit permission. I create many throwaway test
documents that are intentionally not saved, and I don't always want to save
a document at a given stage of development. Luckily a Save in Word doesn't
disable Undo as it does in Publisher; if that were the case I would be even
more unhappy if I hadn't gotten myself into a fix and couldn't Undo (or even
close without saving and revert to the earlier version) because Word had
"helpfully" saved my document in its messed-up form!

"roybaylis" wrote in message
Dan - I am reminded of your first response :
"No, you're not.

Hang around here and you'll see it come up almost daily.

Dan"

Not many car makers would survive if that sort of comment could be made
about one of the most basic parts of their cars, would it?!!

I stand by what I have said, but note that "Suzanne is not Microsoft". I
said "IF" that is how Microsoft see things ...

I am grateful to all who have helped me so fully in this interesting post.

remain surprised, disappointed and, frankly, at a loss to understand why
Microsoft have left such an obvious nuiseance unresolved for its millions

of
users.

I assume that any products which are going to attract my repeat custom

will
continually make necessary improvements and, if it does not, it will lose

my
custom as and when a better alternative comes on the market.

If it is so easy for OneNote to save automatically, why can't Word? And,
thereby your "argument" goes out the window, doesn't it? I am no less
responsible a person when I use the 2 products,but one is miles more
convenient and user-friendly in terms of saing, than the other.
What IS the problem with fixing this, instead of defedning the

nonsensical?
Thanks again
Roy

"Dan Freeman" wrote:

Just for the record, Suzanne is not Microsoft. Everyone you're speaking

with
here is a volunteer who answers questions of their own free will. Your
hostility is wasted and counter-productive.

Suzanne is exactly right. When you drive a car, it is your

responsibility to
put gas in it. It is your responsibility to turn off the lights when you
park it. If you fail to do either, you'll be inconvenienced.

You assume certain responsibilities to use any product.

Dan

"roybaylis" wrote in message
The more I think about your response, the angrier it makes me. It is

so
patronising, so unhelpful and even arrogant.
If that attitude is how Microsoft sees such issues, the end is nigh.
Customers don't have to do what theyr'e told - it is the 21st century!
Peace.
Roy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I stand by my statement. I think it is important to make users

realize
that
*they* are responsible for saving their work. Do you have the same
expectations about the rest of your life, that "someone else" should
protect
you from the consequences of, say, paying your utility bill or

insurance
premium or filing your income tax return or brushing your teeth or

buying
the food you need for tomorrow or washing your dirty clothes or...?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"roybaylis" wrote in message

Dear Suzanne
I think your comment "none of the options will protect you from

your
own
imprudence, laziness, or folly!" is both unhelpful and misses the

main
point.
This software is used so often by so many and it seems most of us

have
been
caught by this happening at one time or another.
Why on earth not fix it?! Isn't "user-friendly" part of the plan?
Wouldn't that be a wINwIN SOLUTION?!
Thanks
Roy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is no "autosave" in Word. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"roybaylis" wrote in

message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave

set to
1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy