Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Default cannot group objects

Hi ?B?bGF1cmllX2c=?=,

The graphics engine for Office 2007 was revamped - you'll see this best in
Powerpoint. Word, however, wasn't able to completely implement the new graphics
in this version, so what you get is a mish-mash of the old and the new. And
these can't really work together. The Group command works only for the old
stuff (AutoShapes); it can't work with the new or a combination of new and old.

The Drawing Canvas is old, and putting a graphics file in it "converts" the
file to work with the old commands. That's why Group will work inside the
canvas with things that won't accept the command outside the canvas.

I am using Word 2007. Why can't I group objects (clipart or saved images)
unless I use the Drawing Canvas? Autoshapes will group fine outside of the
Drawing Canvas.

I have tried inserting several different types of objects, changed the text
wrap to In Front of Text, selected two objects, but the Group tool is greyed
out.

If I use the Drawing Canvas the Group tool is active. I don't want to have
to use the Drawing Canvas. Once I've grouped objects inside the canvas, I
have to manually resize the canvas so that it fits the objects (Fit becomes
greyed out if the objects are grouped). But then, I have to apply text
wrapping to the canvas and it is very difficult to then make changes to the
grouped object - selecting it (and not the canvas), resizing, moving.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)