Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word file open/save stops responding

Well, your "Merry Christmas" problem can perhaps be helped by
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm. As for the hotfix,
the updated one that's available now (same number, supposedly) didn't help
me, so I may end up having to uninstall it again.

"CRANKY" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yep. I've got Automatic Updates running semi-automatically (it prompts

me to
download the updates and then prompts me again when they're ready to be
installed), and as soon as I uninstalled that update, it notified me

that
"Windows Updates are available for download." It was the same one again,

of
course. I declined it and checked the box for "Don't show me this one
again." When I am reasonably certain that the updated update is

available,
there's a command in Automatic Updates to "Offer updates that I've
previously hidden." That will cause AU to offer that one again.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"janetb" wrote in message
Suzanne,
That did it. So, just hang around until Wednesday and install the fix

of
the fix?

Janet

"janetb" wrote:

When using file open or file save, Word/Excel both stop responding.

Have no
network shares mapped. Installed registry key according to

kb918165.
Repaired Office XP professional. Uninstalled and reinstalled. When

trying
to open option tools and modify file save setting, application hangs

also.

Cannot use Office right now. Really could use some help.

Thanks,
Janet

Susanne,

Will the update that fixes the ineffective hotfix be a different

number/id?
And how does one use HotFix to actually repair the problems we all seem to

be
having where Word 2002 'program is not responding', when we try to Save a
document?

Another problem is that every new blank document I access, isn't blank. It
shows MERRY CHRISTMAS at the top of each page.

Would I be better off purchasing a brand new WinWord disc, newer Office
Version, instead of going through this mess?