Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How to center text within graphic in mail merge labels

That would work

laceyjo wrote:
Ok I could not fathom that bit out sorry. Instead, I have cheated. I
formatted the graphic how I wanted it, saved it as autotext. Then
printed out a whole sheet of labels with the graphic. Then opened up
a new document and inserted the text I required, then the labels with
the graphics printed on them, I insterted them into the printer and
voila! I just didn't follow the correct procedure.

Thanks for your help.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Tables use Normal style - Because of the difficulties of combining
floating images and text in labels I would be inclined to reformat
normal style for this document to include sufficient 'space before'
inthe paragraph format of the style to push the text down to where
you want it, then use shift+enter to break the lines.

laceyjo wrote:
Okay Many thanks Graham! I have now cracked it. I have my angel
graphic set behind the text and have my text in front. There is
only one problem now, I have centred my text but instead of the
text being centred at the top of the label, I want it centred back
smack in the middle of my angel graphic. When I press enter,
thinking this will move the text down a line or so, the entire
thing, text and graphic move down together. How can I just get the
text to move down a tad?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

This is explained in the link posted earlier. The fact that I chose
to use Word Art is really irrelevant. This is just a type of
graphic. Once you have the graphic in the first label revert to the
procedure shown in that link
http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm . A workaround for the
problem you are having is described there below the watermark
images

laceyjo wrote:
Thanks for your detailed reply. I have got as far as the bit
where I have to copy the edited/washedout image onto the rest of
the labels on the page. When I click copy and go to the other
labels and select paste, it automatically jumps back to the first
label and pastes it on top and it appears as the unwashed image.

What have I done wrong?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Paste the clipart into a label, select it and then from the
format menu, select Picture and on the Format Picture dialog, go
to the Layout tab and select the Behind Text option. You may
want to go the the Size tab and uncheck the Lock aspect ratio
control so that you can drag the borders of the picture to fill
the cell completely. You will need to turn on the Drawing
toolbar and click on the Select objects button at the left hand
end of the toolbar to be able to select the picture once you had
sent it behind the text. You may want to set the Picture to
"Washout" using the Picture tab of the Format Picture dialog.

Once you have the picture the way that you want, you can copy it
to the other labels and you can just enter and align your text
on the labels as if the picture was not there.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself
of my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"laceyjo" wrote in message
Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, I do not fully
understand it. The explains shows the procedure for formatting
Wordart. I want to insert an angel image from clipart and have
the text centered and have the angel image
on the background. Is there a step by step way to be shown how
to do this please?

Many Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"laceyjo" wrote in message
I should also have added that I would like the text to be in
the foreground centered, and the graphic to be in the
background. The graphic is from clipart.

"laceyjo" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am
trying to
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to
be centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text
jumps up to
the
top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work.
If I press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone
possibly explain
how
exactly this can be done please?