Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
BobR BobR is offline

Default Data Source being lost each time the word merge document starts

Good Day,
I have numerous letters that use an Excel spreadsheet as the data source and
the documents are in WORD 2003 and the data is in EXCEL 2003.
I have code in the excel spreadsheet to simply go to
C:\MyFiles\MergeLetters\?? (?? is a specific named file) and open the WORD
document.

Once the document is opened, it just sits there and is ready for
instructions as it is a non merge format at this time. (We've tried to have
the opening code from excel to make it open to the data source and had
really poor results with it.) My question is can someone give me the proper
code (IF this can be done) that when letter one located at
C:\MyFiles\MergeLetters\letter one.doc is called upon a selfactivating macro
will fire and do the following?

When opened it will fire and make the document a mail merge with
"DataSource" as the data source. The datasource is a shortcut in the My
Docs\M\y Data Sources\"DataSource". Once this is opened the select data tab
comes up and we select the tab of data on excel. (If this could be done with
the word code that would be great). Something like datasource is My Docs\My
DataSources\DataSource and tab "datasourcetab".

Then I would have the document openedas a mail merge and either I would have
to make a selection for the datasource or it would be opened to it already??

Hope the explanation is understandable Thanks for the Assistance.
BOB