Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Word 2003 docs - 'wings' - getting rid of permanently

You're in good hands with the group you've been dealing with, but I just
wanted to let you know you aren't alone:0) I believe the "missing link" in
your thoughts is that macros (VBA), DOS, etc. are *programming languages*
that need to be learned just like any spoken language. Perhaps an idiot
savant could just sit down & compose working code without having studied it,
but I would imagine most of us aren't in that category

Further, like most any other body of knowledge, you have to routinely
practice the craft. If you don't have the time, need, or interest to write
code regularly you can't be expected to know "what to put in" at the drop of
a hat. That's why we have to rely on the kind-hearted souls - Like Stefan,
Graham, Suzanne, et al. - who *do* have those skills to help us out:-)

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 7/11/07 3:57 AM, in article ,
"Xylophone" wrote:

Suzanne,

Many thanks. It will be frustrating for you guys. I respect and admire
what you do. I am not some geek, biting my nails in the corner. I would
have not have known from reading it that the registry article applies to
Word 2003. I shall now follow it to the letter. As for the idiot's guide
to macros, this tells you how to create a macro. Great. What it doesn't
tell you is what to put in the macro (kindly been provided in my case).
Hence my aversion to macros: in the absence of such assistance (and where
else might I might find that?), they are totally useless to me. The same
applies to DOS. Many's the time I have been pilloried for not understanding
DOS, yet I have never ever found any document that explains it in ordinary
language, so how am I expected to understand it? There was a little bit
about it in a Windows Manual I got many years ago. Perhaps the truth is
that you either 'get' these things or you don't. I have 4 degrees and am a
successful person. But I tend to be literal minded, so that things of a
technical nature usually have to spelled out to me. There we go.

Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The link that Stefan gave applies to all versions (with appropriate
modification of the version number in the Registry key name), and Graham
provides complete instructions on how to use his macro in the article he
referred to.

so
all may benefit.

"Xylophone" wrote in message
Stefan, your link makes no specific reference to Word 2003, and Graham,
macros are a no-go area for me: incomprehensible, I'm afraid.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Word 2003 particularly has an irriatting habit of randomly losing some
settings from Tools Options. The easiest workaround is to force the
settings you want in auto macros.
In this case, add the line
Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False
to both an autoopen and an autonew macro in the normal template.
See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Xylophone wrote:
I use Word 2003 on a XP machine. Every time I open a new Word doc,

get 'wings' attached to the cursor which drives me mad. I can get
rid of them by going into Options/Edit and unclicking Click and

Type.
But they come back when I open the next new doc, when Click and Type
is ticked again. How can I get unclicking Click and Type to stick,
so that this problem is solved permanently? I imagine a registry
adjustment would do the trick. Thanks.