Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Xylophone Xylophone is offline

Default Word 2003 docs - 'wings' - getting rid of permanently

I now find that when I open a Word doc (but not Word), the first thing I get
is the macro editor, with the error message:

"compile error

invalid outside procedure"

on top of the lines in the editor:

"Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False

Sub AddTBMenuItem()
'
' AddTBMenuItem Macro
' Macro created 13/07/2007 by malcolm harrison
'

End Sub
Sub Autoopen()
'
' Autoopen Macro
' Macro created 14/07/2007 by malcolm harrison
'
Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False

End Sub
Sub Autonew()
'
' Autonew Macro
' Macro created 14/07/2007 by malcolm harrison
'
Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False

End Sub
Sub AddTBToolbarItem()
'
' AddTBToolbarItem Macro
' Macro created 14/07/2007 by malcolm harrison
'

End Sub"

Please advise further. Thanks

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
OK, I will take another look at it

Xylophone wrote:
Graham,

See my effort below, which constitutes a description of the process I
have gone through on my PC, which I would find pretty fail-safe.
Images of the program I find double-edged: they can be helpful, but
if they don't match exactly what I see on the screen as I go through,
I get anxious that maybe you are talking about a different version of
the program or I am not using mine correctly. So I tend to mistrust
images. A talk-through I find better. A talk-through and images
might be better. Your call

Open Word

Click on Tools/Macro - then on Macros

This brings up a box headed 'Macros''

In that box, at the top, where it says 'Macro' name, a name will
already be there. You have to delete that in readiness to put in the
new name, (as to which, see below). To do this, select the name and
click the 'delete' button on your keyboard.

In the name space that is now empty type the word 'autoopen' (no
hyphen) (nothing you are asked in this guide to type in is typed in
including the quotation marks: they are there to tell you these are
the words to be typed in)

Towards the bottom of the Macros box, right click on 'Macros in.'
This brings up a drop-down menu. In that menu, click on 'Normal.dot
(global template)'.

To the right of the box, click on 'Create'

The box then disappears and the macro editor appears, which is headed
'Microsoft Visual Basic - Normal'. This is in two sections, the one
on the right being the editing box. This will have lines of text
already in it

Within this editing box, above the line that says 'End sub', type in
the line

'Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False'

In the toolbar at top of the editor, click on the 'Save' symbol

In the same toolbar, click on 'File' and then 'Close and return to
Microsoft Word'

You are now finished

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
You are not creating a 'Wings' macro, you are creating an autonew
macro and an autoopen macro. Assuming that you have not previously
created any macros with these names, copy the following into your
vba editor (the illustrations on the web site should match your
version of Word)

Sub AutoNew()
Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False
End Sub

Sub AutoOpen
Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False
End Sub

Click the save button on the vba editor toolbar and close the vba
editor. You will find on the web site an expanded use of these auto
macros to take care of those issues where Word will not retain the
settings. if you use any of those then you add in the line

Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False

to those macros rather than create new macros with the same names.
Macros are fairly straightforward. They are simply instructions to
operate Word functions. I don't see how I could have made their
implementation any simpler than on the web site
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm but if you can think of
anything that would make it easier for beginners, then by all means
let me know and I will see what can be done. --

Xylophone wrote:
I can't make head nor tail of the alleged 'idiot's guide. Much of
it does not appear in my use of Word, so I have to guess. That
takes me so far. I create a 'Wings' macro. This takes me into MS
Virtual Basic with some lines already there. Then I paste the line
supplied in the email over those lines. This leaves me with the
line, and only that. Then what? I can't save the line, as I don't
know where it would be saved to, if anywhere. As for auto entries,
I can't see any or any links to or anything to do with auto
entries. So how do I get the line into an auto entry, etc. as
advised.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Okay, let's back up. I agree that it would not have been possible
to know that the
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm article
applies to Word 2003. It was written for (IIRC) Word 2000 and has
not been updated recently, but the principles in it apply to all
versions of Word (even, I suppose, Word 2007, even though it
doesn't have "menus" per se).

As for the "Idiot's Guide," it is not about *creating* macros but
about how to *install* a macro you have been given, which is your
situation. Read it carefully; it's just telling you where to paste
the VBA you've been handed. There is another article on the same
subject at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm,
but I think Graham's article is clearer (though certainly not as
concise). If you gave up too early on Graham's article, you may not
have reached the "Auto... macros" section toward the end, which
explains how to create the AutoNew and AutoOpen macros he suggests
creating.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Xylophone" wrote in message
Suzanne,

Many thanks. It will be frustrating for you guys. I respect and
admire what you do. I am not some geek, biting my nails in the
corner. I would have not have known from reading it that the
registry article applies to Word 2003. I shall now follow it to
the letter. As for the idiot's guide to macros, this tells you
how to create a macro. Great. What it doesn't tell you is what
to put in the macro (kindly been provided in my case). Hence my
aversion to macros: in the absence of such assistance (and where
else might I might find that?), they are totally useless to me.
The same applies to DOS. Many's the time I have been pilloried
for not understanding DOS, yet I have never ever found any
document that explains it in ordinary language, so how am I
expected to understand it? There was a little bit about it in a
Windows Manual I got many years ago. Perhaps the truth is that
you either 'get' these things or you don't. I have 4 degrees and
am a successful person. But I tend to be literal minded, so that
things of a technical nature usually have to spelled out to me.
There we go.

Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The link that Stefan gave applies to all versions (with
appropriate modification of the version number in the Registry
key name), and Graham provides complete instructions on how to
use his macro in the article he referred to.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Xylophone" wrote in message
Stefan, your link makes no specific reference to Word 2003, and
Graham, macros are a no-go area for me: incomprehensible, I'm
afraid.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Word 2003 particularly has an irriatting habit of randomly
losing some settings from Tools Options. The easiest
workaround is to force the settings you want in auto macros.
In this case, add the line
Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False
to both an autoopen and an autonew macro in the normal
template. See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Xylophone wrote:
I use Word 2003 on a XP machine. Every time I open a new Word
doc, I get 'wings' attached to the cursor which drives me mad.
I can get rid of them by going into Options/Edit and
unclicking Click and Type. But they come back when I open the
next new doc, when Click and Type is ticked again. How can I
get unclicking Click and Type to stick, so that this problem
is solved permanently? I imagine a registry adjustment would
do the trick. Thanks.