Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Word 2003 docs - 'wings' - getting rid of permanently

I checked the page and all the issues raised were already covered, however I
have amended some parts to further aid clarification.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Approximately 1300 people a month view that page [...]

FWIW, I refer people to http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm so
often that I don't even have to look it up; I know it by heart. There
is only one more such link, namely
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The article I referred to is one I wrote myself. Approximately 1300
people a month view that page - and only rarely has anyone provided
any feedback to the effect that it is difficult to understand. Where
the criticism has been valid, I have made changes to cover those
criticisms. I have also recently added alternative illustration to
show where Word 2007 differs from the earlier versions.

I said in my original reply

"add the line
Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False
to both an autoopen and an autonew macro in the normal template."

I then pointed you to my web page where autonew and autoopen macros
are explained as well as how to implement the use of vba code posted
in newsgroup forums.

I also have a page on my web site explaining how to use Norton Ghost
in pictures that a child should be able to understand. Hopefully
mine was not the page you were referring to

Xylophone wrote:
Thanks, Suzanne. The article mentioned autoopen and autonew but did
not say these are the names you give to the macros you create in the
editor. I have now done so thanks to you.

I have just come away from a research committee where we were much
exercised by the lack of use of plain English in documentation. A
moment's thought would tell the author of the article to which
Graham refers that it does not explain what it sets out to explain
to an idiot. What didn't the author simply run his draft past an
idiot, or a few idiots. I recall the instructions I struggled
with in the case of Norton Ghost, where to me they were literally
incomprehensible. The guy who wrote them would no doubt be offended
by that, and express surprise that anyone should think that. He
understands and he has expressed his understanding. What he did not
do is express it in the language of the ordinary person who does not
understand. That after all is the purpose of instructions.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
AFAIK, the Visual Basic Editor has not changed for Word 2007. It
seems to me that Graham's instructions are very clear. You have
already managed to create your macro and get to the VBE, where I'm
assuming you're seeing this:

Sub Wings()
'
' Wings Macro
' Macro created date by user
'

End Sub

You paste the VBA code you were given above End Sub, then click the
Save button on the VBE toolbar. You don't have to choose where to
save it, as Word already knows this (the module already exists, is
already saved).

But this really won't help you much because Wings is not the
correct name of the macro; you need to create (or edit) a macro
named AutoNew and one called AutoRun. If you didn't find this
information in Graham's article, then you did not read all of it
because there is a section toward the end titled "Auto... macros"
that gives illustrations of several macros similar to the one
you're trying to create.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Xylophone" wrote in message
I can't make head nor tail of the alleged 'idiot's guide. Much of
it does not appear in my use of Word, so I have to guess. That
takes me so far. I create a 'Wings' macro. This takes me into MS
Virtual Basic with some lines already there. Then I paste the
line supplied in the email over those lines. This leaves me with
the the line, and only that. Then what? I can't save the line,
as I don't know where it would be saved to, if anywhere. As for
auto entries, I can't see any or any links to or anything to do
with auto entries. So how do I get the line into an auto entry,
etc. as advised.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Okay, let's back up. I agree that it would not have been possible
to know that the
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm article
applies to Word 2003. It was written for (IIRC) Word 2000 and has
not been updated recently, but the principles in it apply to all
versions of Word (even, I suppose, Word 2007, even though it
doesn't have "menus" per se).

As for the "Idiot's Guide," it is not about *creating* macros but
about how to *install* a macro you have been given, which is your
situation. Read it carefully; it's just telling you where to
paste the VBA you've been handed. There is another article on
the same subject at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm, but I
think Graham's article is clearer (though certainly not as
concise). If you gave up too early on Graham's article, you may
not have reached the "Auto... macros" section toward the end,
which explains how to create the AutoNew and AutoOpen macros he
suggests creating. --
newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Xylophone" wrote in message
Suzanne,

Many thanks. It will be frustrating for you guys. I respect
and admire what you do. I am not some geek, biting my nails in
the corner. I would have not have known from reading it that
the registry article applies to Word 2003. I shall now follow
it to the letter. As for the idiot's guide to macros, this
tells you how to create a macro. Great. What it doesn't tell
you is what to put in the macro (kindly been provided in my
case). Hence my aversion to macros: in the absence of such
assistance (and where else might I might find that?), they are
totally useless to me. The same applies to DOS. Many's the
time I have been pilloried for not understanding DOS, yet I
have never ever found any document that explains it in ordinary
language, so how am I expected to understand it? There was a
little bit about it in a Windows Manual I got many years ago.
Perhaps the truth is that you either 'get' these things or you
don't. I have 4 degrees
and
am
successful person. But I tend to be literal minded, so that
things of a technical nature usually have to spelled out to me.
There we go.

Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The link that Stefan gave applies to all versions (with
appropriate modification of the version number in the Registry
key name), and Graham provides complete instructions on how to
use his macro in the article he referred to.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Xylophone" wrote in message
Stefan, your link makes no specific reference to Word 2003,
and Graham, macros are a no-go area for me: incomprehensible,
I'm afraid.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Word 2003 particularly has an irriatting habit of randomly
losing some settings from Tools Options. The easiest
workaround is to force the settings you want in auto macros.
In this case, add the line
Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False
to both an autoopen and an autonew macro in the normal
template. See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Xylophone wrote:
I use Word 2003 on a XP machine. Every time I open a new
Word
doc,
get 'wings' attached to the cursor which drives me mad. I
can get rid of them by going into Options/Edit and
unclicking Click and Type. But they come back when I open
the next new doc, when Click and Type is ticked again. How
can I get unclicking Click and Type to stick, so that this
problem is solved permanently? I imagine a registry
adjustment would do the trick. Thanks.