Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johnthebaptist johnthebaptist is offline

Default Interrupted numbered list.

Thank you, Suzanne,

On your tip I entered "List Number" in Word Help followed by clicking
"Bullets, numbers, and lists." Down that page it says that after your
inserted paragraph you just type in the next list number followed by a
period. It worked.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That doesn't actually begin a new paragraph, though: the inserted text is
part of the numbered paragraph. There are instances in which this technique
is suitable, but if a true new paragraph is needed, it doesn't fill the
bill.

The *best* way to handle this is to use numbered and unnumbered styles, such
as List Number and List Continue (or Body Text). For every style in the List
Number series, there is a corresponding List Continue style that has the
same indent (but it is a left indent rather than hanging). You use this when
you want to continue the numbered item. If you want to interrupt the list
with further ordinary body text, then you use the Body Text style. When you
then resume with your List Number style, the numbering will continue
automatically unless you manually restart it.

"Cheryl Flanders" wrote in message
You can also insert a paragraph below a numbered item by pressing
Shift + Enter at the end of the numbered item, type your paragraph,
then Enter to resume numbering.

Cheryl

On Dec 6, 9:17 am, johnthebaptist
wrote:
Word 2007

I've started a numbered list, inserted a paragraph, and now want to
continue
the list with the next numbered item. How do I do that?