Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Default "Do not check spelling or grammar" will not turn off

Hi ?B?SGVscElzT25UaGVXYXk=?=,

I'm using a corporate version of Word 2003, SP2. There are some fields
(Table of Contents and Page Numbers), but even when I strip them out, and I
select All, I can never get the "Do Not Check Spelling or Grammar" box to
permanently clear. I clear the check box, I click OK, then I go back to
Tools, Language, Set Language, and the box is highlighted (not checked, but
highlighted) again!

The language is English, US and I am only using Times New Roman.

Thanks for emphasizing the "not checked, but highlighted". This means a
"mixed" setting.

I now recognize what you're seeing, and I'm pretty sure there's no way you can
get rid of it. A while back (year? Two years?) this came up and a number of us
did some intensive testing, I also reported it to MSFT.

As soon as a document grows beyond a certain size (number of pages) Word
starts formatting the "automatic page breaks" with some kind of language
formatting. Very difficult to track down - I had to examine the XML (saveas to
that file format) to actually see where it was coming from. Even deleting it
out of the XML didn't clean the mixed formatting out of the document.

I chalk the behavior up to the increasing tendency of the Word team thinking
it's good and OK to apply the language set in Windows as the default. As often
as I, and others, have tried to explain that this is a BAD idea in the world
professional documentation, they still haven't grasped the underlying logic of
that viewpoint...

If you need to be sure that none of the actual text is formatted with a
different language, your best bet may be to "walk" the pages or the paragraphs
in a macro, checking the LanguageID of the range. If it's not your language
(US English) then you (the editor) need to take a closer look at that range.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org