Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Default Formatting changed to Char Char Char Char...

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902064

mijcar wrote:
Melissa Wrote:
I developed my document mainly using Styles. However, just today, I
cut and
pasted some text from another document and reformatted them using
styles.
Then, I realised that my whole document is "using" the style "Char
Char Char
etc." which came out of nowhere. My styles still exist, meaning I
can select
text and reapply my styles. But after doing so, the style name still
shows
as "Char Char...". Visually, my document still looks ok but it's
annoying
that I can't remove this "Char Char Char..." style!

BTW, I reopened my document in Safe mode and the problem is still
there.

===================================
I followed this thread to its end and found no solution offered.

Here is what worked for me today when I encountered the exact same
problem while using Office 2003

1st: I made sure my cursor was in a section that appeared as "char
char char char" in my styles window.
2nd: I opened the style pane by clicking on the icon to the right of
the style list.
3rd: I found the "char char char char" style in the style pane list,
selected all, right-clicked and chose "delete", then confirmed the
deletion when prompted.
4th: I went to the front of the document (ctrl-home).
5th: I selected all (ctrl-A).
6th: I went to the style dropdown window (which was probably blank at
this point) and selected "normal".

This has cleared the problem completely in a number of different tries
on different machines.

If I stopped after the 3rd step, saved the document and reopened it,
then the "char char char char" style would be back in place.

By the way, I don't know if this is important or not, but I made
certain I only had one document open in word at a time.

--mij