Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I update a TOC with manual field codes?

In the TOC Options dialog, you must check the box for "Table entry fields."
If the TOC has already been created, it will be easier to edit the field
code directly. Press Alt+F9 to display the field code and add the \f switch.
Alt+F9 to toggle back, then F9 to update.

"SAL" wrote in message
I have a word document that has a table of contents that was manually
generated by using field codes. The headings were marked with field codes
vs. applying a style. Therefore, when I try to update the TOC it won't

work.
How do I update the TOC since it was not generated using styles?