Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default proofreading

Indeed. If only this method worked for proofreading one's own work. sigh

"Brian Mailman" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

I don't know whether to attribute this to the difference in line
breaks... or to preoccupation with formatting when I made the first
pass, but it is certainly the case that I caught a lot of previously
unseen errors on the second pass.

I don't know if things have changed in the past coughty years, but in
my salad days when I had a job at a publishing house proofreading there
were cycles of proofing/copyediting, and several levels of proofers.
And when one of the 'upper' levels caught a typo, the whole thing went
alllllll the way back to us at the bottom to begin again. It was not
uncommon to proof the same galley 7, 8, even 9 or more times.

Even today when I have a document, I proof it, let it sit for a day or
two and come back to it. Read it, catch more and then read it backwards
and find still more.

B/