Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default word 2007 and grammar check

Any linguist (as opposed to Artificial Intelligence folk!) will tell
you that fluent computer use of human language is decades, if not
centuries, away. The most unrealistic thing about *2001: A Space
Odyssey* was the conversing computer HAL -- but note that it never
occurred to Clarke & Kubrik that computers would be little boxes long
before 2001!

It's possible (not easy, but possible) to compose a passage that can
be read as either Latin or Italian. No matter how good Word's proofing
tools for those two languages are, what would it do?

On Aug 26, 9:42*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I can't really fault Word for not doing a great job of detecting the
language automatically. It must surely require a fair-sized sample, given
the number of words that occur (not always with the same meaning) in more
than one language.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...
Ain't English great? You can adjectivize verbs and verb adjectives!
(And Word _still_ can't "detect language automatically.")

On Aug 25, 5:41 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

FWIW, in the command "Set Language," "set" is a verb; you are setting the
desired language.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in
1. Always keep "Detect language automatically" turned off. No one
knows what it actually detects, but it's not language.

2. Be sure the entire document you're spellchecking is in the Set
Language it's supposed to be in -- Ctrl-A, Set Language (Review tab,
third from left, bottom) to English (US) or whatever.

Note that if you import so much as a single character from another
document with a different Set Language, it will bring its Language
with it. Especially if you download stuff.

On Aug 25, 4:08 pm, Justin Jayjohn wrote:

I have a user that is having issues with grammar check & word 2007.
She is having the issue related to contract documents she is to
prepare etc. Every time she runs spell check on one of these
documents, she is getting the message a language pack needs
installed. One time it might ask for french, another time brazil.
She gets these documents from several different users. I even loaded
one of the documents on my computer, ran spell check got the same
message. I also sent this document to the rest of my team, most people
were
prompted for the brazil language pack. I originally tried removing the
"detect language
automatically" option that was checked. I have found out that I can
change this on one document. Another document can have this box
checked. I performed the following trouble shooting to this point:
-ran detect/repair
-ran chkdsk /f - to fix any file corruption
-defragged the hard drive
-installed office sp2 and updates
-completed reinstalled the entire Office 2007 suite

None of the above steps have worked to resolve this issue. Does
anyone have any other ideas of what to try or what might be causing
the issue?--