Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default word 2007 and grammar check

I can tell you at least that it isn't the font (unless characters of
some non-Roman font that's associated with just one language have
somehow gotten in). If you type a Roman-alphabet letter with an accent
on it, even if it's associated with just one specific language (and
there aren't many of those!), Word won't assign a language to it.

A way to check if some errant language has been assigned to a bit of
text is to Find your base language (English (US) or whatever) -- Ctrl-
F, More Format Language -- click Find Next, and if the entire
document isn't selected, see what language it shows for the first
character after the end of the selection. Then that would be a clue to
where the other language came from.

On Aug 26, 10:10*am, Justin Jayjohn wrote:
All,

Thank you for the replies. *At this point, all the documents are written in
English. *The documents are large contracts (several pages....upwards of 100
+). *I was wondering if some font in the document could be causing the
problem. *Some of these documents could have been created with word 2003 then
opened with word 07 modified and resaved. *We tried taking a document that
was word 03, copied pasted into new word 07. *We saved the document then try
grammar check, got the same result. *So how I can I get all our machines to
open these documents correctly. *

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

Justin,

The problem is mixed languages in the document. *If those languages are not
enabled and available then you see those messages.

You can set the language to USEnglish or whatever by pressing CTRL+A, blah,
blah but that action only addresses the languages in the main text of the
troublesome document. *While perhaps unlikely, the offending language set
could be in one of several other document layers (e.g., headers or footers,
textboxes, footnotes, etc.).

Then there is the possibility that you process hundereds or thousands of
these documents. *The laborious process of setting the language manaully
could become very tiresome.

While scorned by some in this forum, you could always use a macro.

Sub SetLanguageNailMeetsTheHammer()
Dim oStoryRng As Word.Range
Dim bSetLangUS As Boolean
bSetLangUS = False
For Each oStoryRng In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
* Do
* With oStoryRng
* * If .LanguageID = 9999999 Then
* * * If MsgBox("This is a mixed language document." _
* * * * *& vbCr + vbCr & " Do you want to set the language to US English?",
_
* * * * *vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Mixed Language Detected") = vbYes Then
* * * * *bSetLangUS = True
* * * * *Exit For
* * * * .LanguageID = wdEnglishUS
* * * End If
* * End If
* End With
* Set oStoryRng = oStoryRng.NextStoryRange
* Loop Until oStoryRng Is Nothing
Next oStoryRng
If bSetLangUS Then
* For Each oStoryRng In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
* * Do
* * * oStoryRng.LanguageID = wdEnglishUS
* * * Set oStoryRng = oStoryRng.NextStoryRange
* * Loop Until oStoryRng Is Nothing
* Next oStoryRng
End If
End Sub

The name of the macro is abritary. *You could run it on individual documents
or include the script in an AutoOpen macro stored in the template so it
would run automatically whenever a document is opened.

Need help with macros? *See: *http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
I have a user that is having issues with grammar check & word 2007.
She *is having the issue related to contract documents she is to
prepare etc. *Every time she runs spell check on one of these
documents, she is getting the message a language pack needs
installed. *One time it might ask for french, another time brazil..
She gets these documents from several different users. *I even loaded
one of the documents on my computer, ran spell check got the same
message. *I also sent this document to the rest of my team, most
people were prompted for the brazil language pack. *I originally
tried removing the "detect language
automatically" option that was checked. *I have found out that I can
change this on one document. *Another document can have this box
checked. I performed the following trouble shooting to this point:
-ran detect/repair
-ran chkdsk /f - to fix any file corruption
-defragged the hard drive
-installed office sp2 and updates
-completed reinstalled the entire Office 2007 suite

None of the above steps have worked to resolve this issue. *Does
anyone have any other ideas of what to try or what might be causing
the issue?

--
Greg Maxey - *Word MVP

My web sitehttp://gregmaxey.mvps.org