Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Hyphens won't break!

Can you send me a sample problem document?

wrote in message
No, line are breaking only on spaces. The hyphens and M-dashes are acting
like non-breaking hyphens. But when I view
formatting characters, they do not appear as non-breaking hyphens.

Lady Dungeness
Out of Danger until September
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:28:09 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Are lines breaking at other places instead of at the hyphens or em dashes?
That is, are they randomly breaking in the middle of words? If so, that
would be a sign of document (or font) corruption.

wrote in message
. ..
Yes, Robert; I turned off "automatically hyphenate". But normally, a
hyphenated word like

third-party plaintiff

will break at the hyphen if needed. Also, the M-dash normally breaks,
so
that

tortfeasor--the person responsible--will be liable

will also break at the end of the M-dash.

THESE breaks are not happening! How can I get them to break again?
Without turning on "auto hyphenate" which does not work
well for legal documents.

Lady Dungeness
Out of Danger until September
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:36:56 +0200, Robert wrote:

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 23:26:14 -0700, wrote:

Word 2002 here. I have a document where the hyphens will not break.
They act like non-breaking hyphens, but they are not!
If I delete the hyphen and then type it in again, it still won't
break.
I want hyphenated words to break. How can I make
that happen?

Have you tried switching off "Automatically hyphenate the document" in
"Tools" "Language" "Hyphenation"?
HTH.
--
Cheers