Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.numbering
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Default Hidden text won't stick

Hi Gary

Gary Burton wrote:
I am using Word 2002 and a later version of word. Both are on
Win XP machines, and both have the same problem. It's important that I find
a solution because it affects a lot of documents.

I am a teacher, working with other teachers; and I am making up
a homework book to be used by several teachers. The homework book has 2
basic styles: 1. "Numbered question" for the questions and, 2. "Lettered
answer" for the answer choices. There is hidden text at the end of both
styles with no carriage return separating the hidden text from the visible
text.

Sometimes the format gets messed up by me or one of the other
teachers, and I want to be able to just click on the appropriate style form
the styles window and fix it. That usually works, but there are some
paragraphs in both of these styles for which I have a common problem. The
problem is that while clicking on the appropriate style does reformat the
numbered question or the lettered answer, it also makes the hidden text
visible. I sometimes make changes to a large number of paragraphs at once,
so I can't even tell which ones are getting visible answers. The students
appreciate that because it shows them the answers, but I don't like it.

:-)

See John's remarks!

What might work is the following: if you use a character style for your
hidden formatting, and make sure that you never apply it to a paragraph
mark, then you could use a makro that resets a paragraph to its para
style but preserves char styles.

But I agree with John, it's probably easier just to use hidden paragraph
styles for hidden text and use "Tools | Options | View" to manage its
visibility, and "... | Print" wheter it's printed or not.

Not letting other teachers work with carefully drafted numbered
paragraphs might be an idea, too! :-)

Greetinx
Robert
--