Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
oldstonebuddha oldstonebuddha is offline

Default using bookmarks as variables - help!

I have been using the content control. How would I refer to a dropdown (or
combobox) content control value (and have it update automatically)? There is
very little information in the help files on content controls. As I stated
earlier, I can do so by pasting an HTML link, but I have to use code to get
it to update the link when a user changes the value.

Thanks for all your help.
--

"macropod" wrote:

Hi,

Are you using a Content Control 'Drop Down List', or a Dropdown formfield? I've been referring to the latter (available in Word
2007's Controls under 'Legacy Tools', whereas I now suspect you're referring to the former. Dropdown formfields have both a bookmark
value and a 'calculate on exit' option that allows them to update all cross-references without the need for a macro. The formfields
available under the 'Legacy Tools' are also compatible with earlier Word versions - Content Controls are not.

--
Cheers
macropod

"oldstonebuddha" wrote in message
I don't see any "internal bookmark" or any way to insert one. I was able to
copy the contents and "paste special" "paste HTML link. That seemed to work.
To get it to auto-update, I had to go into VB and put a "fields.update"
command into the ContentControlOnExit subroutiene:

Private Sub Document_ContentControlOnExit(ByVal ContentControl As
ContentControl, Cancel As Boolean)
Fields.Update
End Sub

Is there a more elegant way to do this...espicially without using a VB code?
Why can't I refrence the content control's value directly? It's a pain
getting a digital signature on the project and configuring end-users options
so they don't have to mess with the macro security every time.

Regards

"macropod" wrote:

Hi,

If you're getting a duplicate of your dropdown field, that suggests you've bookmarked the dropdown field and you're using that
bookmark instead of the dropdown field's internal bookmark. Don't do that - use the dropdown field's internal bookmark instead.
access the dropdown field's internal bookmark, select the field, right-click and choose 'properties'. There you can insert a
bookmark name (or use whatever's already there). Then delete the other bookmark from your dropdown field and use just the
internal
one.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"oldstonebuddha" wrote in message
Hmmm, I was actually using a formula field. I tried the ref field as you
indicated below, and that actually inserts a copy of the dropdown, rather
than the value of the dropdown.

All I want to do is insert the string value selected in the dropdown later
in the document...and have it update as it changes. I'm suprised it is so
difficult to do so. This is simplicity in excel, access, vb...but apparenty
not so much in word.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi,

I suspect you're referencing the dropdown field with a field coded something like:
{REF Dropdown1 \# 0;0} or {Dropdown1 \# 0;0}
What this *actually* returns is '-30', but the ';0' in the picture switch is forcing it to show as an absolute value. If you
had
field coded something like:
{REF Dropdown1 \# 0} or {Dropdown1 \# 0}
you'd see '-30'.

To get the REF field to show your text, as well as the number, delete the picture switch. That is, use a field coded something
like:
{REF Dropdown1} or {Dropdown1}

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"oldstonebuddha" wrote in message
Hello,

I am working on creating a contract in Word 2007 in which I want to lock
down most of the document, and then limit certain terms to a predefined
range. As an example, I would like the document end-user to be able to
select billing terms of either:

"thirty (30)" days; or
"sixty (60)" days

So I inserted a dropdown with those choices. I would like their selection
to update text later in the document. So I assigned the dropdown a bookmark
and then inserted a formula field referencing the bookmark. This works,
however it only shows the text in parenthesis (i.e. it shows "(30)" not
"thirty (30)". What is going on? Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards