Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Can't find normal.dot in Word 2003

Instead of double clicking the normal.dot template from Windows Explorer,
which creates a new document from the template by default. Right click the
template and select 'Open', which will open the template itself. Make your
changes and click Save.

NonTechie wrote:
Ok. I copied that into the Windows Explorer address bar and got the
file named Normal. At the top of the window the name was all blurred
out. I made the changes I wanted, but when I try to save it, it wants
to save it as a regular Word document where I last saved a Word
document. How do I get it to be saved as a template and in the right
place?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You will find it easier to locate if you set Windows Explorer to
display hidden files.
If you type or copy
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates
into the address bar of Windows Explorer or your browser you will be
taken to the default template folder location.

NonTechie wrote:
I recently installed Windows 7 and had to reinstall Office 2003. I
want to modify normal.dot. Accordint to the help menu it is in
C:\Documents and Settings\user name/Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates. When i tey to open that file, there is no
Documents and Settings folder uncer C:, and when I find my user name
(in two places) there is no Application Data folder.

I tried the search in Windows 7 by typing in nomal.dot and it did
not appear. I was able to find it when I had Windows XP and could
designate that it look in hidden files. But I can't find how to do
even that in Windows 7.

How can I find and open normal.dot to modify it?

.