Robert M. Franz

Hello Sam

H. S. wrote:
I am trying to make figures in a technical document and I am running
into the following problems:

1) I am not able to keep the captions of figures and tables together.
The last time I dealt with this (which was a while ago) I had read about
putting the figure/table and it's caption in a text box to keep them
together. Is it still the prefered method (rather a work around)? If
not, is there a better method now in Word 2003? After all it is simple
logic to keep them together. It just doesn't make sense to think otherwise.

As long as the figures are "inline" instead of floating around, then the
prefered method is to use a "keep with next" (Paragraph formatting) to
the figure paragraph; that way it will stick to the following caption
paragraph.

2) I would like to include subfigures in a figure. For example, I want
to show 4 pictures with lables "(a)", "(b)", "(c)" and "(d)". All of
them make up one figure, say "Figure 1". And I want to be able to cross
reference them as either "Figure 1" as whole (which is easily done) or
cross reference each subfigure indiviually as "Figure 1 (a)" or "Figure
1 (b)" etc. First, is this even possible in MS Word 2003? If yes, how
(or a link a webpage for instructions). If no, is there a work around to
this?

I can't think of any built-in way for doing this with Word. Which means,
you insert the subtype-number by hand in your cross-reference ...

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS