Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pbirn

Default Endnotes de-linked

1) if many of your notes are only one line, try using alt-mouse click and
drag, which allows you to select a column of text that is in lines. Then
you should be able to select a bunch of numbers at once, as well as the
annoying space that follows them. Since you cut the endnotes into a
separate file anyhow, it's likely worth reformatting the file temporarily to
get most of the notes to be one line. (You didn't state your version--not
sure whether alt-select was new around Word 2002)

I just tried that and can select all the numbers at the beginning of
each endnote line. However, I cannot delete the numbers, or replace them with
something else. As soon as I remove my finger from the mouse after selecting
the number, the numbers are no longer selected.
I have Word 2003

2) redo the original paste into a separate file:
Edit | Paste Special | Styled Text eliminates the numbers here, while
keeping the titles italicized. It seems to convert the number into a space,
plus bring the space between the number and the note text, so that each line
begins with two spaces. However, a regular Find and Replace will eliminate
those spaces.

I have no "styled text" on my Paste Special box. I tried all the
alternatives and only had success with Unformatted Unicode Text. This got
rid of the numbers, but also got rid of the italics. So this is no good for
me

Thank you

--
Phyllis

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Alternative approaches:

1) if many of your notes are only one line, try using alt-mouse click and
drag, which allows you to select a column of text that is in lines. Then
you should be able to select a bunch of numbers at once, as well as the
annoying space that follows them. Since you cut the endnotes into a
separate file anyhow, it's likely worth reformatting the file temporarily to
get most of the notes to be one line. (You didn't state your version--not
sure whether alt-select was new around Word 2002)

2) redo the original paste into a separate file:
Edit | Paste Special | Styled Text eliminates the numbers here, while
keeping the titles italicized. It seems to convert the number into a space,
plus bring the space between the number and the note text, so that each line
begins with two spaces. However, a regular Find and Replace will eliminate
those spaces.

On 3/13/06 7:55 AM, "pbirn" wrote:

I just tried that, on my de-linked endnotes, and nothing changes

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/