Tewodaj

Suzanne,

The problem is *not* that it doesn't display correctly in the dialogue box.
The problem is that I get the little square in the text itself. Here are the
steps I took and the outcome I got:

1. Do Insert-Symbol to get the symbol beta into the text of the document.
2. Highlight that beta now in the text and copy via Ctrl+C
3. Open the Find and Replace box, go to "Replace with", do Ctrl+V. It shows
up in the dialogue box as another weird symbol, (but that's not the problem)
4. Type the word 'discount' in the Find What box. Click on Replace All
5. It replaces all instances of 'discount' with the little square, instead
of with beta.

I have been to the link that you pointed me to,
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...aceSymbols.htm
but this link seems to suggest as solution to write a macro to solve the
problem. I am utterly unfamiliar with writing macros and was hoping to find
another solution in Word 2002.

Thanks for any help on this.
Tewodaj

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This works for me in Word 2003. If I paste the beta from "(normal text)"
(glyph 03B2) into the "Replace with" box it actually displays as beta, but
even if it displayed as a square, I would still expect it to replace
correctly (symbols are often not displayed correctly in the dialog itself).
But see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...aceSymbols.htm

"Tewodaj" wrote in message
Hi,
I am using Word 2002 on Windows XP. I have been trying, so far
unsuccessfully, to use the "Find and Replace" tool to replace greek

symbols
with other greek symbols in my text (e.g. alpha, etc.). I have managed to
find symbols by copying and pasting the symbol into the Find What box. But
when I try to replace something, say the word "discount factor" with the
symbol for 'beta' by pasting the symbol into the Replace box, "discount
factor" instead gets replaced with a little square box. How can I address
this problem? Is it at all adressable in Word 2002? A little warning: I've
never written word or excel macros so am not familiar with doing my own
programming in such applications, so I would much prefer a menu driven
solution.