Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
johnthebaptist johnthebaptist is offline

Default Semi-enabled cursor in table cell

I'm back at my original table. After all my experimenting it now has a
bizarre display of columns in its second half. I think the original data is
still in there somewhere. There is no Undo option.

What I'd like to end up with is a two-column table, Date and Remarks, either
in Word or Excel.

Originally I had hoped to be able to search Remarks by an automated numbered
list in the Remarks column as well as by the manually entered text, but find
that Word will not search automated data, either under Date or under Remarks.

Excel will search by a numbered list in a dedicated column but when last
tried would not update the numbering to correspond with the associated text.

So now I'll be satisfied if, after removing any corruption, I can just
search text in the Remarks column. Where to from here?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

I'm not completely sure, because your description doesn't match my
experience, but I think the problem is this:

The "Paragraph button on the ribbon" -- by which I assume you mean the
button in the Paragraph group of the Home ribbon that shows the ΒΆ symbol --
does NOT insert a paragraph mark at the end of a line to start a new row.
That button (whose tooltip identifies it as the Show/Hide command) toggles
the display of nonprinting characters
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...rintChars.htm).

To insert a paragraph mark at the end of a line, put the cursor there and
press the Enter key.

The other thing you need to do, in the Convert Text To Table dialog, is make
sure the "Tabs" option is selected in the "Separate text at" section at the
bottom. It should be selected already, but you need to look at it and change
it if something else is selected.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman