Daiya Mitchell

You apply a template to an existing document by using Tools | Templates and
Add-ins and attaching a different template.

However, that will *only* update styles--it will not change any layout or
text elements, so it doesn't sound like it will do what you want.

I'm not totally clear on what you want the end result to be, but I suspect
copying and pasting the text of old report into a new doc based on the
template and saving it as new report is going to get you there (don't copy
over the last paragraph mark in the old report). Alternatively, redo the
template process in the old report.

Depending on how many reports you have, work out the best way to get what
you want with one of them, then ask about best ways to automate that
process.

Also, these links might not have the answer to your specific question, but
you will probably find them very useful as you switch from WordPerfect to
Word.

How Word differs from WordPerfect
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ordPerfect.htm

Some Tips and "Gotchas" for those who are new to Word
Especially if migrating from WordPerfect
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...AndGotchas.htm

Is There Life After "Reveal Codes"?
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm

WordPerfect to Word converters (and why none of them are perfect)
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...Converters.htm

On 7/27/05 9:17 AM, "Bubba Gump Shrimp" wrote:

sorry I previously posted with the wrong subject.

ok, per instructions on Suzanne Barnhill's site, I've been able to create a
letterhead template that has a header and footer only on page three of a
blank document and subsequent pages will not have the header and footer.

Now I'll tell you what we're trying to do. We've just converted from Word
Perfect to word and have a lot of word documents that we call "reports" that
we mail out. Page1 is a cover page, page2 is a table of contents, page3
begins an analysis that will go on for roughly 4 pages. What I need to do is
somehow convert all of these pre-existing reports to use my newly created
template so the existing page3 ends up in my template where i have the
header and footer on page 3.

I tried to open my template, choose insert file and choose one of the
existing reports and all it did was push my 3 page template to the end.
Ooops. I also tried templates and add-ins from tools but can't figure out
how to make that work either. Certainly there's a way to apply a template to
an existing document.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Buster

--