Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default select fonts not printing bold

I have never found that either Word or Publisher will actually print
synthesized bold. I thought there was a chance they might if you have
"Download TrueType fonts as soft fonts" or the like enabled in the printer
Properties, since that forces the printer to print what is displayed on the
screen, but I'm not confident even of that. I try to avoid using fonts that
don't have the full complement of B, I, BI except in specialized cases where
only a single display face is needed.

http://word.mvps.org

"Character" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Some applications will synthesize a bold appearance, and you may

even be
able to print it with specific printer settings, but for the most

part, if
the font doesn't have a bold variant, regardless of what you see on

the
screen, you won't get bold print. Beyond that, I'm hopelessly

ignorant, so
I'm cross-posting this message to the word.printingfonts newsgroup,

which
may result in a more authoritative answer.

If bold is displayed, whether it's from a bold variant or a MS Word's
horrendous artificial bold or italic, it should print just as seen on the
screen.

It's more likely a printing options problem, a printer driver problem, or
a printer memory problem (unlikely).

Since printer drivers and their available options are unique to each
printer and operating system, I can only offer some very general
approaches.

Some printers/drivers have an option to 'print truetype as graphics'. If
yours does, toggle the setting to see if it makes a difference. You might
also go to your printer's website and download the latest printer driver
for your operating system, if you don't already have the latest version.

In your Word document, is it possibly set to printing in draft mode
(Tools/Options/Print)?

Have you tried printing the document as the first thing after booting up?
It's possible that your computer was running out of resources - although
this used to result in corrupted on-screen displays as well.

It might help if you'd specify what Operating System you're using, what
version of Word, what printer, the version of the printer driver you have,
and the names of the fonts that are exhibiting the problem, along with the
names of some fonts that seem to be working properly.

That's all that comes to mind immediately.

- Character

-- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope,
Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Renauda"
wrote in message

Oh my goodness, could it be that simple? Maybe for some fonts that

is the
case. I guess I didn't know that some fonts do not have a bold
option...unless they show in bold as standard version from the start.
However, the mystery remains. Why does print preview show bold

font if its
not available? And more mysterious is that in one simple word

document it
will print one line of the bold text in bold, but the other lines

of bold
font print do no print bold...and its the same font in the same

document.

Thank you for responding, Suzanne. If you have any additional

ideas I'd
love
to hear them! : )

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Does the font in use actually have a bold variant?

http://word.mvps.org

"Renauda" wrote in message

Why is bold font showing in print preview but its not

printing bold?
After
much messing around with it, one random line of bold font did

print in
bold,
but the other bold font didn't print bold. And its not just

one font.
Its
several fonts doing this. New issue I've never encountered.

Any help
would
be
greatly appreciated! : )